Monday, February 18, 2013

Beam me up Scotty

Hey Family,
                     This week has been awesome. On Tuesday I had my doctor appointment in Little Rock. The hospital is very confusing if you have never been there before. The whole hospital is color coded but they don't tell you where the color is in the hospital they just tell you which color to get to. They did the usual plus a longer echo. They also didn't know what my meds were so they asked me for those. Then at the end of the visit they gave me a list of all my meds and the doses. I thought that was funny because I told them what my meds were in the first place. The doctor visit went well and they said they want to see me every 3 months and that they can do the ALA-MAP for the annual so that is good. Also, I did get those prescriptions but I haven't sent them so I will do that tomorrow since the post office is closed today. From the doctor we went to Otter Creek to a zone meeting and after we got back from that it was already 2:00. Then the week just flew by till Saturday. 

                     On Saturday we had a special meeting with Elder Bednar. The meeting was a once in a lifetime thing. All the missionaries were there from the mission (which never happens). Along with all the missionaries, there was Elder Bednar, Elder Mains (one of the presidents of the quorum of the 70), Elder Bluth (one of the area 70), and Bishop Stevenson (the presiding Bishop of the church). The first part of the meeting, Elder Bednar talked about what we learned from the talks we read in preparation for the meeting. Then for the last couple hours we got to ask him questions. The only rule was don't ask stupid questions. His example was don't ask where the sword of Laban is because he doesn't know or care where it is. But the majority of the questions were about how to become better missionaries. One of the main things I liked that he said was that when we pray we need to pray to know what to do, not to know what to know. When Joseph Smith prayed he asked which church do I join not which church is true. If you know something that is great, yeah, you are smarter, but if you don't act on what you know its like reading the instructions to make cookies and getting all the stuff out and hoping they magically appear. If you don't combine the ingredients and cook the dough you will never get cookies. After the meeting, I met the Bakers. It was cool to meet them. Then yesterday we had stake conference and Elder Bednar spoke. For the first 15-20 minutes of his talk he talked about how the Bible is the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. He also taught lessons 1,2, and 3  in about 10-15 min. He knew there would be lots of nonmembers there so he talked about how this is the only true religion. Then for the last hour or so, he talked about how we all need to become more Christlike. He gave lots of great examples of the Savior's life and how he was always helping others. One of the examples was when the Savior was fasting for forty days and forty nights and Satan was tempting him. After Satan had tempted Jesus the 3rd time it says he sent angels to comfort him. In the JST, it says Jesus sent angels to comfort John the Baptist because he had been thrown in prison. This is in Mathew 4: 1-12. 
      
                     This week has been a great week and I am glad to hear that you all got to go sledding. It looked like it was a lot of fun. Thanks for letting me know about Jared. I will have to write him. Thanks for all you do for me. Hope you all have a great week
                                                                                                                                Love Elder Talbert

No comments:

Post a Comment